August 15, 2012
Guest blogger day! My mom sent me this beautiful and tasty-looking recipe. One thing that I like about this recipe is that it doesn’t include a ton dried spices, so you won’t find yourself running to 12 different stores trying to find 1 teaspoon of some random spice that you will never use agin. She said that this recipe filled a quart sized mason jar perfectly.
- 3/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 3X1/2″ strip lemon peel (NO WHITE, just yellow)
- 12 oz little tomatoes (any kind) (I mixed!)
- 1/4 Cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I used 4)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Pour vinegar and water into saucepan. Add salt, sugar and lemon peel. bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Remove from heat. Let cool 20 minutes.
- Pierce each tomato 2 times with slender wooden skewer or toothpick. (I did 2 pierces, making 4 holes, and I cut the bigger ones in half)
- Toss tomatoes with dill, garlic, and crushed red pepper in large bowl.
- Add cooled vineger mixture.
- Let stand at room temp at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
These can stay in fridge about 2 weeks.
August 3, 2011
This soup is so refreshing! It is also extremely easy to make. You should prepare this at least a few hours in advance and then allow the flavors to chill in the fridge before serving. The ingredient list is definitely flexible, so feel free to adapt according to taste. Let me know if you make any good adjustments.
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used fage 2%)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup water (depending on how much you need to thin it out)
- salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a large food processor, starting with only 1/4 cup water. Process until it is very smooth. If it is too thick, add more water until it is the consistency you want.