Corn and tomatoes play the starring roles in this simple salad, as the scallions and balsamic win best supporting ingredients. They all work together to create an interesting combination of flavors: an end-of-the-summer party in your mouth.
- 4 ears of fresh corn, cut off from the cob
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup scallion, coarsely chopped, greens only
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Saute corn and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir occasionally for about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add the vinegar and cook, until mostly evaporated, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook, stirring gently, 1 minute.
- Lower the heat and add the scallions, stirring to combine. Remove skillet from heat and transfer vegetables to a serving plate. Season with salt and pepper to taste.