I guess it was inevitable: A Brooklyn blogger writes about pizza. In my opinion, a slice of pizza and a green salad is the perfect meal. Why not pile the greens on top of the pizza? For the dough, you can use store-bought or make your own. Our bread maker has a pizza dough setting which makes dough better than I ever could. I recommend using a pizza stone. Put it in the oven when you start preheating it.
Note: Don’t confuse this “salad pizza” with a “pizza salad”, which I hope to experiment with one day soon!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 summer squash, sliced thin (I used a mandoline)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- pizza dough of your choice
- 4-8 ounces quality mozzarella cheese, shredded (how cheesy do you like your pizza?)
- pizza sauce of your choice
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 leaves of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and place pizza stone in the oven.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a skillet. Saute squash, onions, garlic, oregano, basil, and thyme for 8-10 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare your dough, depending on the type you have. Sprinkle half of the cheese on the dough. Spread the tomato sauce on top, and then layer the squash mixture. Add the second layer of cheese. Place pizza in oven, and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- While the pizza cooks, whisk together tsp red wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until combined. Toss with the lettuce and tomatoes. (You can add some fresh mild cheese here as well)
- Take pizza out of the oven when the cheese starts to turn light brown in a few places. Add chopped fresh basil on top, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pile the greens on top of the salad…Slice, and enjoy!
August 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm
Next time you make this, can you please invite your mom to dinner? 🙂